8. What Happens to Your Digital Assets if You Become Incapacitated?
To protect your digital assets in the event you become incapacitated during your life, do the following:
- Appoint a Durable Power of Attorney (POA) to manage your estate.
- Communicate to your POA your final wishes for protecting and preserving your digital legacy. Be specific about your intentions for your all of your devices, online accounts, and personal files.
- Communicate your final wishes to your loved ones or heirs.
- Ensure that your loved ones know the physical location, and have the usernames and passwords, to access your accounts.
- Review your online service sites’ “Terms of Service” policies for transferring access to others in the event you become incapacitated during your life.